• Athanasia Houvarda

Tornado or Downburst?

Updated: Jul 7, 2021

What was that? I was left bewildered asking this question , trying to figure out what just happened...

Allow me to describe how Friday, June 4th, felt for me.

It was a beautiful day on Trout Lake that reminded me of my hometown in Greece, Thessaloniki. I woke up, and unlike other days, I felt the warm weather from the early morning hours. So, I knew it was going to be a nice day. I got dressed, I opened the windows widely to get the morning fresh breeze, I made my self a coffee and went on the deck to enjoy the stillness of the water and the quietness of the nature around me with my husband, Dan. Ten minutes later I rushed into the house because the annoying mosquitoes and the black flies were feasting on my legs and arms. Secretly I was hoping for some wind to keep the insects away but I shouldn’t really complain because days like these are rare.

A few hours later life around the lake was starting to pick up. I could hear the voices of children jumping in and out of the water along with the people on their pontoon boats cruising on the Lake. I put on some sunscreen, wore my hair in a ponytail and I got busy with yard work. Around 6 pm I decided that I had enough sun for one day, and I went in the house.

About an hour later and all of a sudden, a strong wind forced me to go out on the deck and rescue my plants. The sky had a weird green-yellowish color with gray clouds in the distance that looked like we were going to get some rain.

I started moving the pots. We only have 10 and I won't go into the reason why, but let's just say that plants have a hard time surviving in my hands. I was moving one by one the pots and I managed to move 6 out of the 10 before I had to run into the house, chased by the wind that was getting bad with every passing second. It was then that I asked myself "What is that?"

Only seconds later, the heavy rain started and I went in the office to shut the screen door while Dan run out to save the table that was about to be flipped by the strong wind. But by the time he got out, the table was already flipped.

Our lovely dog Kona together with Dan, ran inside the house and while all this was taking place, I was still fighting against the wind, for the screen door. It really felt like the air was trying to rip it off the hinges. I called Dan and he came to help me rescue it.

Finally, all doors were shut and just in time to keep the heavy rain and hail from coming into the house. Kona, was so scared that she ran into my arms, looking me in the eyes, pleading to make this stop. I wish I could! We both sat on the floor in the center of the living room and I was petting her for the whole 5 minute duration of the insane wind, rain and hail episode.

From the floor of our living room and through the screen doors, I was overlooking the lake, observing the surface of the water changing color. At first, the water took a grey-yellowish color while it was fiercely moving in all directions. Suddenly, I saw a white thick layer covering the water in the distance and asked myself again, what is that? , I quickly realized that what I was seeing were waves, which is very unusual to witness on our small size lake. Then, I felt the floor trembling, it almost felt like an earthquake. I have to admit, by then I was very concerned . In my mind, images of the screen doors smashing by the force of the wind, made my heartbeat rise like the waves on the lake.

What seemed like a long time, only lasted five to seven minutes. Everything started to get back to normal except from the sky. Thunders were zapping every few seconds between the dark clouds in the sky. The rain was still heavy and the wind was still strong but it was not even close to what it was a few minutes earlier.

For the next 30 minutes we stayed where we were, observing Nature’s power

Finally, everything went quiet and we could hear the birds chipping again. I went out on the deck to convince myself that it was over. I looked at my plants, the plants survived. I looked at the table that was now flipped, I was amazed to see that it’s glass top didn’t break. The only thing that broke was a glass jar I kept on the table. Phew.. that was close, no damages, we are good!

And then my eyes went to our neighbor’s yard and what I saw left me utterly gobsmacked!

This is the first view I got of the result of the insane storm.
Ripped off the ground

Around 10-12 trees fell in their yard and on one of their vehicles.

We were lucky, but from what we found out later, more of our neighbours took a really bad hit by the storm.

No one was hurt, no pets were hurt. Docks and pontoon boats were blown away and had some damages, sheds and some vehicles were also damaged, a broken trailer roof and a few hydro poles that left camps without power for over 48 hours were also reported.

But what made our heart sink, were the hundreds of trees that were vigorously pulled out from earth and thrown on to the ground. The sight of the trees downed, blocking roads and driveways, was a hard thing to watch. You couldn't hear the squirrels or the chipmunks the next day, only the sound of chain saws working away. And that made me even more sad.

For the weekend that followed everyone was offering a helping hand to those that were impacted. People were going back and forth from camp to camp, carrying branches, helping with clearing the trees that were down. And, like any other situation in life, it’s good to focus on the positive outcome.

We are all immensely relieved that no one was hurt from this unexpected insane storm. And it was interesting to watch how this experience brought us closer as a community, how supportive everyone is and I feel very fortunate to be part of it.

To read more follow the link from the local news site.

(When the experts announce what was it that hit us, I will update my post. So stay posted if you want to learn more.)

12 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All